Rais, what say you now?

An injuction petition hearing in Kuala Lumpur High Court mentioned the name of Minister of Information, Communications and Culture Dato’ Seri Utama Dr Rais Yatim, Ph.D’s son Dino Rais:

The Paper that cares reported:

Rais’s son named in telco civil case

… but Dino denies any involvement in biz dealings
Friday, October 22nd, 2010 13:55:00

KUALA LUMPUR: The Civil High Court here this morning was the setting for a case involving a telecommunications company, where the son of a minister in charge of the industry, was mentioned.

Dino Rais, son of Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim, was named in an affidavit filed by businessman Abdul Razak Mohd Nor and Nor Aishah Harun against respondents Magic Telecom Sdn Bhd, Sejahtera Saluran Sdn Bhd and Looh Siong Chee.

The affidavit had stated that in January this year, Looh, a shareholder and director with Magic Telecom, had proposed to Abdul Razak that Dino be given a five per cent shareholding in Magic Telecom to ease the obtaining of the spectrum approval and other necessary licences.

The affidavit also stated that they both allowed the involvement of Dino to assist other employees in Magic Telecom from Jan to July.

In the petition filed, Abdul Razak and Aishah had enclosed a copy of the EGM dated Oct 11, signed by Looh.

Abdul Razak, in the petition, also stated he believed the EGM was being called with ill-intentions.

He said despite him giving a notice on Oct 4 to Looh and the other directors of Sejahtera to refrain from requisiting any EGM because Sejahtera was not a valid shareholder of Magic Telecom but just a temporary loan borrower, he did not get a reply from Looh.

Abdul Razak said he believed Looh’s action to call for the EGM was to extend his intention to take over Magic Telecom via Sejahtera.

An originating petition was filed by Numix Engineering Sdn Bhd, Abdul Razak and Aishah against respondents Magic Telecom, Sejahtera Saluran and Looh on Oct 8.

The prayers in the petition included an injuction restraining or preventing Sejahtera Saluran and Looh from exercising any powers and rights as directors or shareholders of Magic Telecom and also to declare the additional issuance of RM4 million, which was allotted on July 21, 2010 as ordinary shares in Magic Telecom as null and void.

He also pleaded for an order of rectification of the share register of Magic Telecom to delete the shareholdings of Sejahtera Saluran of RM4m shares in Magic Telecom.

He is also claiming for an order of damages against Sejahtera Saluran and Looh or in alternative, an order to buy out Magic Telecoms shareholdings at a fair value to be determined by the court.

He is also seeking an order that the petitioners buy out at the total of RM350,350 shares of Looh at a fair value to be determined by the court.

In the alternative, an order to wind up Magic Telecom under the provisions of the Companies Act 1965 and that the official receiver be appointed as liquidator.

The injunction hearing of the petition will be heard on Nov 18.

In an SMS response to The Malay Mail this morning regarding the mention of his name in the afidavit Dino said: “I don’t have anything to do with Razak. I was merely invited by Desmond (Looh) to advise him in terms of Malay write up and Malay social ethic since his Bahasa vocabulary is not that generous.

“Furthermore his partner (Abdul Razak) is Malay and I was only giving personal views regarding simple matters. I never touched on business dealings and I’ve never owned a telecommunications company as mentioned lately.

“Perhaps Razak is not happy with certain things hence he is claiming ‘names’ as a stepping stone to wrestle things his way.”

*******

Monday last week, when The Malay Mail contacted Rais he said “even remotely associated with those slanted and ill-intended allegations, and will forthwith assert my rights under the law and report the matter to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) so that an investigation could be under way”.

On Tuesday 12 October Rais lodged a police report against Datuk Ahirudin “Rocky” Attan, whose posting on “Santa Rais’s RM 1 billion WiMAX grant” 9 October 2010 which linked this blog’s “2.6GHz ‘Transparency'” posting on Friday 8 October 2010. He also firmly stated the day before he wanted to lodge a report with MACC. When asked why Rais did the Police report, he told his aides “Berani kerana benar and when asked by the press, “Its my right”. Until today, he has yet to lodge a report with MACC.

The story attracted a lot of media attention, especially new media. Even Prime Minister Dato’ Seri Mohd. Najib Tun Razak and Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Mohd. Yasin gave comments when asked about Rais’s action of making the Police report, which was seen as ‘over-handed’. Except for Rais’s own people within the ministry, no one else came forth to defend his action.

It is already out in the open. What say you now, Rais?

Advertisements
Published in: on October 22, 2010 at 14:09  Comments (22)