Since Ops Sulu and shortly followed Ops Daulat were launched more than 48 hours ago, there have been some successes. Some corpse were discovered and one armed Sulu bandit was shot yesterday. The search and destroy operation jointly by the Police and Army has been carried out to hunt the remaining brutal bandits.
Over 2,000 villagers in seven kampungs around Tanduo have been evacuated. Efforts being made to ensure that they are helped.
The hunt operation is about ‘search and destroy’. Hunt include all the arms these dangerous bandits is believed to have stashed away, eluding detection probably for a counter terrorism acts.
It is believed these armed dangerous bandits are believed to shed their camouflage and don civilian wear, to slip detection. As best they can, they would try to assimilate themselves to pass as locals. IGP Tan Sri Ismail Omar said “Probably they would pass of as locals”. Then again, there are Sabahans and permanent residents of Sabah who are the same ethnicity as these brutal bandits.
Tight and restricted movement has been instituted.
Published: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 11:33:00 AM
Updated: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 2:38:04 PM
Lahad Datu: Tight land, sea cordon to cut off enemy food, weapons supply, says Sabah CPO
Malaysian armed forces doing their rounds at 7.30am at Felda Sahabat, Lahad Datu.
KUALA LUMPUR: The security forces have cordoned off all sea and land routes to prevent food and weapons supplies from reaching the armed intruders from Southern Philippines.
The police, Armed Forces and Navy have also nabbed intruders who had attempted to leave and enter Kg Tanduo and Kg Tanjung Batu to get food supplies, said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib.
“We have created a tight cordon around the area, with the help of the Navy at sea and Armed Forces on land.
“Their food supplies are cut off because we have caught many of the intruders during their attempts to get food,” he said during a live interview on TV3’s Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) programme, here, on Thursday.
“The intrusion occurred on Feb 12 and so far in the process of handling the situation, eight Malaysian police personnel and more than 30 terrorists have died since last Friday.
Commenting on Wednesday’s reports of the armed intruders now impersonating members of the public, Hamza said the authorities did not deny the possibility and had cordoned off Kg Tanjung Batu to ensure there were no residents there before going on the offensive.
“Even if there’s a way out, it’s only by sea. However, I admit that there are challenges as we’re dealing with human beings, so they may have some tricks up their sleeves,” he said.
In relation to the four men detained during the ambush in Kampung Simunul, Semporna, Hamza said police believed the suspects were linked to the incident but have yet to determine the extent of their involvement. – Bernama
A Police source said that so far 52 dead bodies discovered believed to be the armed Sulu bandits have been counted. The media in on a frenzy of bringing the war into the 14 million 3G smartphones and 14 million homes internet connectivity, which ought to be seen as a crisis instead of making the situation better. People who still have access to the remaining armed bandits are able to continuously update them with what is the latest.
On the other spectrum, self proclaimed Sultan of Sulu Jamalul Kiram III for a ceasefire following Unitred Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon’s call for the fighting to stop. This is strange as Seceretary General Moon did not make any statement when these armed bandits intruded the Malaysian border four weeks ago and when they drew the first blood, in an act of ultimate cowardice.
Then again, the ceasefire call was seen as another ploy for the dangerous and brutal Sulu bandits to play for time. Defence Minister Dato’ Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi is quick and very stern about this.
Published: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 3:38:00 PM
Updated: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 3:52:37 PM
Lahad Datu: Malaysia rejects self-styled Sulu Sultan’s unilateral ceasefire
By KAMATCHY SAPPANI
Defence Minister: Militants must surrender unconditionally
PETALING JAYA: Malaysia rejects self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram’s unilateral ceasefire offer, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid(pix) tweeted Thursday.
He said the ceasefire would only be accepted if all the militants surrendered unconditionally.
“Do not trust the ceasefire offer by Jamalul Kiram. In the interests of the people of Sabah and Malaysia, destroy all the militants,” he tweeted.
(Jgn percaya dgn tawaran gencatan senjata oleh Jamalul Kiram. Demi kepentingn rakyat Sabah & seluruh rakyat Msia, hapuskan dulu semua militan)
Earlier Thursday, the self-proclaimed Sulu sultan had called for an immediate ceasefire to the standoff in Sabah following calls by United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to end violence in Sabah and start holding dialogues.
“The Sultan (Jamalul Kiram III) is calling for a unilateral ceasefire of the sultanate of Sulu effective this hour, 12.30 in the afternoon of Thursday,” spokesperson Abraham Idjirani said, according to ABS-CBNnews.com.
He said this is out of respect to the call of the UN secretary-general to end the violence there. He said this is “in order to reciprocate the call of the UN to preserve lives.”
The spokesman had also told Reuters that 10 of the Sultan’s followers at Lahad Datu had died during the confrontation with Malaysian security forces and that another 10 have since been captured.
Four other followers were wounded, according Idjirani. “They will not come home, and would rather die fighting if cornered,” he said of the remaining followers in Sabah, according to Reuters.
The UN chief had earlier expressed concern about the impact of the standoff on the civilian population, including migrants in the region.
Ban is closely monitoring the situation in Sabah and would like to see all parties engage in talks for the peaceful resolution of the issue, a UN statement said.
He also urged all parties to “facilitate the delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards.”
Home Minister Dato’ Seri Hishamuddin Hussein was co-ordinating the humanitarian and assistance for the 2,000 civilians who have been evacuated from the area of operation.
The problem in East Sabah is about handling various insurgent cells who have the capability to slip and move around as civilians. Never the less they are very dangerous and have access and already proven their capability to terrorise in the most horridly unimaginable ways for Malaysians.
Even if some of these dangerous bandits were captured alive, it is unimaginable on whether the authorities could really understand how big could the threat be. Especially when many Malaysians felt the border between Sabah and the Phillipines and Indonesia is porous. Some of the Sulu kumpit boats are powered with engines that enable them to speed of in excess of 40 knots, in shallow waters and over coral reefs.
Malaysia have already seen the solution to this. In 1950 fighting against the communist rebellion in Malaya was getting out of hand and the authorities were unable to differentiate between the bandits and their sympathizers, WWII war veteran Gen. Sir Harold Briggs as the Director of Operations for the Emergency had a very drastic plan. It was about isolating the rebels from their supporters and cutting off their supply chain.
In the process of ‘cleansing the communism threat’, Briggs Plan also saw the introduction of the ‘identity card’ system where every person’s identity was recorded. That enabled better understanding of the population and information was also used for the intelligence work for the war against the insurgency. The villages that were inherent threat as supply lines to the communist rebels were restructured.
The combination of intelligence and restructured of the movement and close monitoring of the population saw the threat of communism greatly reduced and success drove into economic growth and eventually Kemerdekaan.
The Briggs Plan is a drastic solution for Sabah in post Ops Daulat operation. It should be designed to address the terrorist cells that might exist within the multielthnicity and complexity of the Sulu and other Filipino related communities within Sabah. This would eliminate if ever any of these Sulu bandit cells, who have been notorious in the guerrilla warfare against the Phillipines the past 45 years, want to institute the same fight in Sabah.
All access and trade between them and the Phillipines and Indonesia be cut off or restricted. This is because these dangerous bandits ply between these routes and weapons and supply lines are also via these channels.
That would also get the Sulu and related communities in the Phillipines and Indonesia that ply between the triangle be affected and demand and ensure that all the armed personnel within them on their side be dismantled. This armed rebellion and terrorism in the Sulu and Celebes seas must end now that peace accord been achieved last October and Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao has been established.
All these communities strive should towards the future via trade and economic activities.
A Briggs Plan for Sabah would also give the opportunity for restructuring some of the settlements which are prone to be base and supply lines for the Sulu armed bandits.
With the exception of a few odd balls and deviant Malaysians in their sinister political agenda, the majority rallied behind the Federal Government, the Police and Armed Forces in their effort to end the terrorism in Lahad Datu, Semporna and sporadic places in East Sabah. The should also support a long term solution to ensure that this does not happen again. As they say, “Drastic situation calls for drastic solution”.
If this terrorism episode isn’t ‘drastic’ enough, then we can’t imagine what would that be.
In his tour to Lahad Datu this afternoon, Prime Minister Dato’ Seri Mohd. Najib Tun Razak announced a Special Security Area would be instituted in the five affected districts of East Sabah. It is modeled after the Rajang Security Command (RASCOM) in the early 70s to fight communism in Sarawak. 5 permanent new battalions consisting of Police and Army would be assigned to this SSA.