The rumours about the ‘proposal to sack UMNO Deputy President Tan Sri Muhiyiddin Mohd. Yassin and Vice President Dato’ Sri Mohd. Shafie Apdal’ in the upcoming UMNO Supreme Council Meeting, is getting really heaty and making many sides getting edgy till Vice President Dato’ Seri Hishamuddin Hussein came out to deny.
Hishammuddin denies rumours of sacking Muhyiddin, Shafie
BY RIZALMAN HAMMIM AND AHMAD FAIRUZ OTHMAN –
3 SEPTEMBER 2015 @ 2:59 PM BATU PAHAT: Umno Vice President Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein has denied rumours that the party’s Supreme Council meeting next week would discuss the possibility of sacking Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal.
“This is all rumours. I am not aware of what will be discussed at the meeting,” Hishammuddin said.
He said this when asked to comment on the rumours circulating on social media that the meeting would discuss the sacking of several party leaders including Muhyiddin and Shafie.
“I would have known if indeed this is in the agenda. Anyway, only the secretary-general would know what the agenda of the meeting will be,” said Hishammuddin.
He said whenever there is a Supreme Council meeting, there will be a lot of assumptions made about what will be discussed.
“Moreover, there are a lot of more pressing issues that needs to be discussed by the council like the economy situation, political stability and the security of the country,” said Hishammuddin.
He was speaking to the media after attending an orientation week programme with 2,445 new students of Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia in Parit Raja here. Meanwhile in Nusajaya, Deputy Umno permanent chairman Tan Sri Mohamad Aziz said the rumoured sacking of the Umno deputy president and other leaders in the run up to the meeting on Sept 9 will weaken the party.
He said these rumours could destroy the unity in Umno. While saying that such rumours had caused concern among Umno’s rank and file, he urged the supreme council to make a wise decision on such matters.
“The supreme council will convene on Sept 9, 2015 and it is being said that the supreme council will take action to suspend or sack the membership of Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (deputy president) and Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal (vice-president).
“If this is true then it is not a wise decision by the supreme council, which will anger party members. The decision will create a rift among members and weaken the party. Such an unwise decision is very much against the Umno slogan of Bersatu, Bersetia, Berkhidmat (to unite, be loyal and to serve) ,” said Mohamad, who is also Johor state assembly speaker.
He was speaking to reporters at his office today. On July 28, Muhyiddin and Shafie were dropped as Deputy Prime Minister and Rural and Regional Development Minister, respectively in a cabinet reshuffle. Mohamad said that as a veteran Umno member, many Umno members have related their worries to him about the rumour.
He said his intention to speak up about the matter was to ensure that Umno would uphold the unity which it has forged all this while. “My intention to say this is to ensure that the party remains united.”
The intensity of this rumour lurking around social media accounts and mobile application transmissions between many is added with the spread of the statement made by UMNO Deputy Permanent Chairman Tan Sri Mohamad bin Aziz.
1. SEBAGAI TIMBALAN PENGERUSI TETAP UMNO MALAYSIA YANG TELAH BERJUANG DIDALAM PARTI SELAMA 55 TAHUN, TENTUNYA SAYA MAHU MELIHAT AHLI UMNO TERUS BERSATU PADU.
2. UMNO SEBAGAI SEBUAH PARTI SENTIASA RELEVAN DALAM PERJUANGANNYA BAIK SEBELUM DAN SELEPAS MERDEKA, MENGISI KEMERDEKAAN DAN MEMPERTAHANKAN KEMERDEKAAN WATAN TERCINTA.
3. PARTI YANG KEKAL DENGAN ASAS PERJUANGAN BANGSA, AGAMA DAN NEGARA DISAMPING MENGHORMATI DAN MEMPERTAHANKAN MASYARAKAT MAJMUK YANG BERBILANG BANGSA DAN AGAMA.
4. PARTI YANG SENTIASA MENJADI TUNJANG PERKONGSIAN KUASA BERSAMA PARTI KOMPONEN DEMI KESEJAHTERAAN HIDUP RAKYAT BERNEGARA SEJAK DULU, KINI DAN SELAMANYA.
5. UMNO MENJADI KUAT KERANA DIDOKONG OLEH AHLI YANG TAAT DAN SETIA DISAMPING BARISAN KEPIMPINAN YANG BERTANGGUNGJAWAB, YANG SENTIASA MENGUTAMAKAN KEPENTINGAN PARTI SECARA BIJAKSANA.
6. KEPIMPINAN UMNO SEHARUSNYA MENJADI PAYUNG YANG MELINDUNGI KEPENTINGAN PARTI DAN AHLI DAN BUKANNYA MENJADI GOLONGAN ELIT YANG HANYA MAHU DI PUJA PUJI.
7. TINDAKAN MENGGUGURKAN TAN SRI MUHYIDDIN MOHD YASSIN DAN DATO’ SERI SHAFIE APDHAL DARIPADA KABINET SUDAH MEWUJUDKAN SUASANA TIDAK SELESA DAN MERUNTUHKAN SEMANGAT AHLI PARTI.
8. AHLI DAN AKAR UMBI RESAH DENGAN PERKEMBANGAN DI PIHAK BARISAN TERTINGGI. SUARA KERESAHAN BOLEH DIDENGARI DI SETIAP PELUSUK NEGERI SETIAP HARI.
9. MAJLIS TERTINGGI AKAN MENGADAKAN MESYUARAT PADA 9 SEPTEMBER 2015 YANG AKAN DATANG DAN DIBERITAKAN BAHAWA MAJLIS TERTINGGI AKAN MENGAMBIL TINDAKAN MENGGANTUNG ATAU MEMECAT KEAHLIAN TAN SRI MUHYIDDIN MOHD YASSIN DAN DATO’ SERI SHAFIE APDHAL.
10. JIKA BENAR BERLAKU IANYA MERUPAKAN KEPUTUSAN TIDAK BIJAK AHLI MAJLIS TERTINGGI YANG TENTU AKAN MENIMBULKAN KEMARAHAN AHLI PARTI.
11. TENTUNYA KEPUTUSAN TERSEBUT AKAN MENIMBULKAN PERPECAHAN DIKALANGAN AHLI PARTI SETERUSNYA MELEMAHKAN PARTI.
12. TINDAKAN TIDAK BIJAK TERSEBUT AMAT BERTENTANGAN DENGAN SLOGAN UMNO ~ BERSATU, BERSETIA, BERKHIDMAT.
13. AHLI MAJLIS TERTINGGI TENTU BERTANGGUNGJAWAB UNTUK MEMPASTIKAN UMNO TERUS KUAT DAN MAMPU BERKHIDMAT KEPADA MASYARAKAT.
14. AHLI MAJLIS TERTINGGI PASTI MEMAHAMI AKAN TANGGUNGJAWAB UNTUK MENENTUKAN UMNO TERUS DITERIMA OLEH AHLI DAN RAKYAT.
15. AHLI PARTI AMAT BERHARAP MAJLIS TERTINGGI TIDAK AKAN MENGAMBIL KEPUTUSAN YANG MERUGIKAN PARTI.
16. MAJLIS TERTINGGI PERLU MENDENGAR SUARA HATI AHLI DAN RAKYAT AKAR UMBI BAGI MELETAKKAN KEMBALI PERJUANGAN PARTI DILANDASAN YANG DISEGANI DAN LEBIH DIHORMATI.
17. UMNO ADALAH WADAH KERAMAT PERJUANGAN ORANG MELAYU YANG TELAH MELETAKKAN DARJAT BANGSA KITA SETARAF DAN MELEBIHI BANGSA-BANGSA LAIN DIMATA DUNIA. KINI MATA DUNIA JUGA TERTUMPU KEPADA KITA UNTUK MENGEKALKAN SEJARAH YANG TELAH DI BINA DAN DI CIPTA.
18. KITA SEDANG MENJALANI SEJARAH, NAMA-NAMA KITA AKAN TERPAHAT DALAM LIPATAN SEJARAH DAN KEDUDUKAN KITA DI DALAM SEJARAH TERSEBUT DITENTUKAN DALAM TINDAKAN KITA PADA HARI INI.
19. SEMOGA AHLI MAJLIS TERTINGGI DIBERIKAN TAUFIK DAN HIDAYAH ALLAH UNTUK TERUS BERTANGGUNGJAWAB MENGGALAS AMANAH BANGSA BAGI MEMPASTIKAN UMNO TERUS DISEGANI DAN DIHORMATI MEMIMPIN NEGARA MALAYSIA YANG MERDEKA LAGI BERDAULAT.
BERSATU, BERSETIA, BERKHIDMAT
TAN SRI MOHAMAD HAJI AZIZ
TIMBALAN PENGERUSI TETAP UMNO MALAYSIA
3 SEPTEMBER 2015
Exactly seventeen years ago last night, UMNO Supreme Council met and sacked then Deputy President Anwar Ibrahim for alleged sodomy charges. It was a follow through from the sacking of Anwar from the Cabinet as then Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister by Prime Minister Dato’ Sri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad the previous day.
Anwar immediately launched the mobstreet demonstration campaign ‘Reformasi’ within a few days, citing unjust sacking is because the leadership of the Government and UMNO was protecting their cronyism, abuse of power and corruption.
The ‘Reformasi’ movement grew and became a weekly affair for weeks, which spilled into when the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur was on later in September of 1998 and the Asia-Pacific Economic Council (APEC) Summit in November of the same year.
Many especially UMNO Youth challenged Prime Minister Dr Mahathir’s action by becoming thorns within the party since not that many actually exited UMNO openly. They remained within UMNO but were part of the poison to demonise Party President Dr Mahathir.
The episode of the sacking of Anwar and ‘Reformasi’ movement became a major political and confidence thorn in Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir’s leadership admist the hardwork to recover the economy and put it back on track, after the Asian Financial Crisis 1997-8 and the economic slump there after.
The sacking of Anwar episode was unlike the leadership challenge of April 1987 where Dr Mahathir was challenged by former Vice President Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah. That saw UMNO clearly divided as ‘Team A Vs Team B contest’ and as the consequence was UMNO was declared illegal in February 1988 by Kuala Lumpur High Court.
The sacking of Anwar did not split the party unlike the ‘Team A Vs Team B’ episode. However, the Malays were split.
The reflective is seen in 10GE in November 1999 where UMNO lost 22 Parliamentary seats and PAS gained 19 seats. Four Cabinet Minister also lost their seats, Dato’ Sri Megat Junid Megat Ayub, Dato’ Mustapha Mohamad, Dato’ Dr Abdul Hamid Othman and Dato’ Annuar Musa.
Prime Minister Dato’ Sri Mohd. Najib Tun Razak, then Education Minister almost was defeated when he narrowly retained his Pekan Parliamentary seat with a 241 majority.
Over all, BN saw the reduction from 162 seats in the 192 seats Parliament for the 9GE in April 1995 to 148 seats at the 10GE in November 1999. UMNO lost 24% of its Parliamentary seats, mostly to PAS. UMNO also lost the State of Terengganu to PAS in the same 10GE.
This is despite that the dissenters of the ‘Team A Vs Team B contest’ of 1987 who left UMNO to form Semangat 46 after UMNO was declared illegal in February 1988, voluntarily disbanded their party in 1996 and returned back into the folds of UMNO, for the sake of ‘Malay Unity’.
The ‘Anwar factor through Reformasi’ was a major bane against UMNO, despite the unification of UMNO Baru and Semangat 46. It was a bitter lesson which was supposed to learnt.
That episode saw for the first time how the use of internet expounded the reach and speed of information, by many times. Rumours and falsehoods spread like wild fire and were taken in as truth, especially when the Anwar backers, supporters and Opposition manage to create the serious negative perception and questionable integrity of the mainstream media.
UMNO was very slow in all the counter measures against the use of new and alternative media.
The advancement of communication and information through technology compound the factors of what UMNO had got to face the crisis of 1998-9 by many folds.
Unless it is glaring that these leaders co-operated with Opposition leaders openly against the party especially during an election campaign, then there would not be any solid excuse to initiate an expulsion exercise.
Hence, UMNO is unable to face the repercussion for another episode of sacking Supreme Council level leaders, regardless what are the mitigating circumstances and evidence presented.