Despite Attorney General Tan Sri Apandi Ali’s landmark pronouncement on closure of on Tuesday the USD620million ‘donation’ from a Saudi Royal to Prime Minister Dato’ Sri Mohd. Najib Tun Razak and drama that follow suit, it is still unsettled.
The Malaysian social media is still cluttered with more of these noises and the intensity of them being echoed is staggering. It is a sign of desperation by the detractors who are kicking themselves for how situation turned out against their game.
It is unsure whether these foreign law enforcement agencies did take necessary steps to get the co-operation of the AG and the various different authorities which are eye balling the case involving the controversy created on and about 1MDB. By far, that added confusion warrants more statements for clarifications, required to be issued today.
AG Apandi’s statement for the day that they would co-operate if requested by foreign law enforcement authorities:
STATEMENT BY THE ATTORNEY-GENERAL
30 January 2016
1. I note the statement issued by the Office of the Attorney-General of Switzerland, and further remarks attributed to the Swiss Attorney-General by an American newspaper, concerning an investigation into two former officials of 1MDB.
2. I and the relevant Malaysian authorities are keen to establish all the facts about 1MDB that have led to recent allegations against the company. That is why a number of investigations – including by the Public Affairs Committee, the Royal Malaysian Police, and the Auditor General’s Department – are currently on-going.
3. The Malaysian authorities, including the Attorney-General’s Chambers, are committed to working with all relevant foreign law enforcement entities through the applicable international conventions and agreements. Similarly, 1MDB has from the outset cooperated with the enquiries.
4. Regarding the recent public statement by the Office of the Attorney-General of Switzerland, my office intends to take all possible steps to follow up and collaborate with our Swiss counterparts, and we look forward to receiving the findings of their investigations and materials through the normal channels. These materials will then be reviewed, alongside the findings of other relevant authorities and our own investigations, to determine the appropriate course of action.
5. Contrary to recent media reports, the investigations into donations that were made to the Prime Minister are entirely separate to those into 1MDB. The Attorney-General’s Chambers exhaustively reviewed the report provided by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission and, as has been announced, found no evidence of wrong-doing and hence have instructed for the cases to be closed.
6. Any attempt by media organisations to conflate the two sets of investigations is irresponsible and prejudicial.
TAN SRI MOHAMED APANDI ALI
1MDB was also quick to reiterate their position about no foreign authorities ever got in touch with them for any form of queries or investigations.
Media statement by 1Malaysia Development Berhad
Issued on 30 January 2016
For immediate publication
Swiss Attorney-General Office Statement
1MDB refers to a statement issued by the Office of the Attorney-General of Switzerland on Friday 29 January 2016 relating to an on-going investigation. As we have previously stated, 1MDB has not been contacted by any foreign legal authorities on any matters relating to the company. 1MDB remains committed to fully cooperating with any lawful authority and investigation, subject to advice from the relevant domestic lawful authorities, and in accordance with international protocols governing such matters.
It is quite baffling if there are any investigations by foreign law enforcement authorities, why none of them have made the necessary queries through the usual proper channels?
Yet, the Neo Con Jewish controlled foreign media keeps harping on the matter despite some of those which are not aligned to them, have resided to the fact that some of the previously assumed controversies like the USD620 donation is explanable.
This prolonged continuation of very distractive noises is counter productive. Especially in the current Malaysian economy despite being fundamentally sound but affected by the volatility of the global economy, which is artificially violated.
This noise would also just add to the confusion and causing many to have the ripples quite having the good confidence otherwise, especially from the perspective of corporate governance and the administration of the rule of law.