Briggs for Sulu

Since Ops Sulu and shortly followed Ops Daulat were launched more than 48 hours ago, there have been some successes. Some corpse were discovered and one armed Sulu bandit was shot yesterday. The search and destroy operation jointly by the Police and Army has been carried out to hunt the remaining brutal bandits.

Over 2,000 villagers in seven kampungs around Tanduo have been evacuated. Efforts being made to ensure that they are helped.

The hunt operation is about ‘search and destroy’. Hunt include all the arms these dangerous bandits is believed to have stashed away, eluding detection probably for a counter terrorism acts.

It is believed these armed dangerous bandits are believed to shed their camouflage and don civilian wear, to slip detection. As best they can, they would try to assimilate themselves to pass as locals. IGP Tan Sri Ismail Omar said “Probably they would pass of as locals”. Then again, there are Sabahans and permanent residents of Sabah who are the same ethnicity as these brutal bandits.

Tight and restricted movement has been instituted.

Published: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 11:33:00 AM
Updated: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 2:38:04 PM

Lahad Datu: Tight land, sea cordon to cut off enemy food, weapons supply, says Sabah CPO

Malaysian armed forces doing their rounds at 7.30am at Felda Sahabat, Lahad Datu. Malaysian armed forces doing their rounds at 7.30am at Felda Sahabat, Lahad Datu.

Photo Gallery

KUALA LUMPUR: The security forces have cordoned off all sea and land routes to prevent food and weapons supplies from reaching the armed intruders from Southern Philippines.

The police, Armed Forces and Navy have also nabbed intruders who had attempted to leave and enter Kg Tanduo and Kg Tanjung Batu to get food supplies, said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib.

“We have created a tight cordon around the area, with the help of the Navy at sea and Armed Forces on land.

“Their food supplies are cut off because we have caught many of the intruders during their attempts to get food,” he said during a live interview on TV3′s Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) programme, here, on Thursday.

“The intrusion occurred on Feb 12 and so far in the process of handling the situation, eight Malaysian police personnel and more than 30 terrorists have died since last Friday.

Commenting on Wednesday’s reports of the armed intruders now impersonating members of the public, Hamza said the authorities did not deny the possibility and had cordoned off Kg Tanjung Batu to ensure there were no residents there before going on the offensive.

“Even if there’s a way out, it’s only by sea. However, I admit that there are challenges as we’re dealing with human beings, so they may have some tricks up their sleeves,” he said.

In relation to the four men detained during the ambush in Kampung Simunul, Semporna, Hamza said police believed the suspects were linked to the incident but have yet to determine the extent of their involvement. – Bernama

***********************

A Police source said that so far 52 dead bodies discovered believed to be the armed Sulu bandits have been counted. The media in on a frenzy of bringing the war into the 14 million 3G smartphones and 14 million homes internet connectivity, which ought to be seen as a crisis instead of making the situation better. People who still have access to the remaining armed bandits are able to continuously update them with what is the latest.

On the other spectrum, self proclaimed Sultan of Sulu Jamalul Kiram III for a ceasefire following Unitred Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon’s call for the fighting to stop.  This is strange as Seceretary General Moon did not make any statement when these armed bandits intruded the Malaysian border four weeks ago and when they drew the first blood, in an act of ultimate cowardice.

Then again, the ceasefire call was seen as another ploy for the dangerous and brutal Sulu bandits to play for time. Defence Minister Dato’ Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi is quick and very stern about this.

Published: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 3:38:00 PM
Updated: Thursday March 7, 2013 MYT 3:52:37 PM

Lahad Datu: Malaysia rejects self-styled Sulu Sultan’s unilateral ceasefire

By KAMATCHY SAPPANI

Defence Minister: Militants must surrender unconditionally

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia rejects self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram’s unilateral ceasefire offer, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid(pix) tweeted Thursday.

He said the ceasefire would only be accepted if all the militants surrendered unconditionally.

“Do not trust the ceasefire offer by Jamalul Kiram. In the interests of the people of Sabah and Malaysia, destroy all the militants,” he tweeted.

(Jgn percaya dgn tawaran gencatan senjata oleh Jamalul Kiram. Demi kepentingn rakyat Sabah & seluruh rakyat Msia, hapuskan dulu semua militan)

Earlier Thursday, the self-proclaimed Sulu sultan had called for an immediate ceasefire to the standoff in Sabah following calls by United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to end violence in Sabah and start holding dialogues.

“The Sultan (Jamalul Kiram III) is calling for a unilateral ceasefire of the sultanate of Sulu effective this hour, 12.30 in the afternoon of Thursday,” spokesperson Abraham Idjirani said, according to ABS-CBNnews.com.

He said this is out of respect to the call of the UN secretary-general to end the violence there. He said this is “in order to reciprocate the call of the UN to preserve lives.”

The spokesman had also told Reuters that 10 of the Sultan’s followers at Lahad Datu had died during the confrontation with Malaysian security forces and that another 10 have since been captured.

Four other followers were wounded, according Idjirani. “They will not come home, and would rather die fighting if cornered,” he said of the remaining followers in Sabah, according to Reuters.

The UN chief had earlier expressed concern about the impact of the standoff on the civilian population, including migrants in the region.

Ban is closely monitoring the situation in Sabah and would like to see all parties engage in talks for the peaceful resolution of the issue, a UN statement said.

He also urged all parties to “facilitate the delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards.”

*****************

Home Minister Dato’ Seri Hishamuddin Hussein was co-ordinating the humanitarian and assistance for the 2,000 civilians who have been evacuated from the area of operation.

The problem in East Sabah is about handling various insurgent cells who have the capability to slip and move around as civilians. Never the less they are very dangerous and have access and already proven their capability to terrorise in the most horridly unimaginable ways for Malaysians.

Even if some of these dangerous bandits were captured alive, it is unimaginable on whether the authorities could really understand how big could the threat be. Especially when many Malaysians felt  the border between Sabah and the Phillipines and Indonesia is porous. Some of the Sulu kumpit boats are powered with engines that enable them to speed of in excess of 40 knots, in shallow waters and over coral reefs.

Malaysia have already seen the solution to this. In 1950 fighting against the communist rebellion in Malaya was getting out of hand and the authorities were unable to differentiate between the bandits and their sympathizers, WWII war veteran Gen. Sir Harold Briggs as the Director of Operations for the Emergency had a very drastic plan. It was about isolating the rebels from their supporters and cutting off their supply chain.

In the process of ‘cleansing the communism threat’, Briggs Plan also saw the introduction of the ‘identity card’ system where every person’s identity was recorded. That enabled better understanding of the population and information was also used for the intelligence work for the war against the insurgency. The villages that were inherent threat as supply lines to the communist rebels were restructured.

The combination of intelligence and restructured of the movement and close monitoring of the population saw the threat of communism greatly reduced and success drove into economic growth and eventually Kemerdekaan.

The Briggs Plan is a drastic solution for Sabah in post Ops Daulat operation. It should be designed to address the terrorist cells that might exist within the multielthnicity and complexity of the Sulu and other Filipino related communities within Sabah. This would eliminate if ever any of these Sulu bandit cells, who have been notorious in the guerrilla warfare against the Phillipines the past 45 years, want to institute the same fight in Sabah.

All access and trade between them and the Phillipines and Indonesia be cut off or restricted. This is because these dangerous bandits ply between these routes and weapons and supply lines are also via these channels.

That would also get the Sulu and related communities in the Phillipines and Indonesia that ply between the triangle be affected and demand and ensure that all the armed personnel within them on their side be dismantled. This armed rebellion and terrorism in the Sulu and Celebes seas must end now that peace accord been achieved last October and Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao has been established.

All these communities strive should towards the future via trade and economic activities.

A Briggs Plan for Sabah would also give the opportunity for restructuring some of the settlements which are prone to be base and supply lines for the Sulu armed bandits.

With the exception of a few odd balls and deviant Malaysians in their sinister political agenda, the majority rallied behind the Federal Government, the Police and Armed Forces in their effort to end the terrorism in Lahad Datu, Semporna and sporadic places in East Sabah. The should also support a long term solution to ensure that this does not happen again. As they say, “Drastic situation calls for drastic solution”.

If this terrorism episode isn’t ‘drastic’ enough, then we can’t imagine what would that be.

*Updated 1800hrs

In his tour to Lahad Datu this afternoon, Prime Minister Dato’ Seri Mohd. Najib Tun Razak announced a Special Security Area would be instituted in the five affected districts of East Sabah. It is modeled after the Rajang Security Command (RASCOM) in the early 70s to fight communism in Sarawak. 5 permanent new battalions consisting of Police and Army would be assigned to this SSA.

Bernama report on the Special Security Area announcement

Bernama report on the Special Security Area announcement

About these ads
Published in: on March 7, 2013 at 15:00  Comments (14)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://bigdogdotcom.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/briggs-for-sulu/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

14 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Somebody dhould go and tell Ban Ki Moon to:

    1. Go F*** himself, then sit down and think..

    2. Ask him, as a Secretary General of UN is that what he supposed to say when a large number of terrorist carry out an armed attack on a member nation?

    Malaysia should register our protest to this unbecoming conduct of a Secretary General.

    • Ban Ki Moon wants to be seen doing his job. But the statement may not even be truly his – said as “coming out of his office”. It must have been prepared by a bloke in his office who does not know much, has not read much of what has been going on in Sabah.

      Stupid bloke does not even know the UN bread and butter function – to ensure no violation of national sovereignty and territorial integrity of all the 190 plus member nations. The Filipino militants have been doing just that – violating Malaysia’s national sovereignty and territorial integrity.

      The statement coming out of the UN boss’ office could have been better worded. Ban Ki Moon himself could have instructed a more responsible staff member to have fine-tuned the statement. Or was Ban too preoccupied with other major world issues like Syria to have left the release of the statement to one of his staff members.

      Ban should have chosen a better person than one who just issues statements for parties to talk their problems out, not knowing we are dealing with militants, even terrorists, as they even mutilated the bodies of our fallen heroes. The bloke wouldn’t have said “Go negotiate” to the Americans walloping Osama Ben Laden and his band of terrorists, would he?

  2. Hello, please advice our Defence Minister to use proper words and don’t be a clown. There is no such thing as a ceasefire with bandits.period!! They surrender and face the law or they will be killed. Itu saja. They have brutally murdered our policemen. Please Bigdog, ask Zahid not to etertain anything. No ceasefire should come from his mouth.!!!!!…marah sungguh ni.

  3. Bila penganas ini mendarat diLahat Datu,IGP Tan Sri Ismail peri berjumpa dengan Menteri Hishamuddin untok memaalumkan kapada nya dan minta pandangannya apa ang harus kita buat.
    Hishamuddin kata mereka ini pendatang haram ,hantar pasokan polis untok mengawasi mereka.Besoknya Hishamiddin membuat kenyataan akhbar supaya jangan dengar khabar angin.

    Pasokan polis pergi tanpa persediaan yang cukup.Bila sudah berlaku pertemporan dan dua anggota polis mati terbunoh di Lahat Datu,baru menteri Panic.Baru di panggil angkatan tentera.

    Sabenarnya kita memang tidak bersedia .Setaip hari IGP membuat kenyataan akhbar.Persoalannya adakah Army Chief mengambil arahan dari IGP.

    Ini baru 200 orang Sulu yang bersenjata hanya 20 atau 30 orang.Kita tidak dapat mengawal keadaan.
    Zaid Hamidi berkata salepas tentera mengadakan operasi 13 orang telah mati.Bila di tunjok ambar mayat sudah busok,Panglima Angkatan tentera terpaksa membetulkan kenyataan menterinya ,mengatakan mayat itu mati samasa pertemporan dengan V69 pada hai ju.maat.

    Bagaimana jika Singapura melanggar Johor.Adakah IGP akan incharge atau Army chief?

    • Sila jangan putar belitkan fakta.

      1. ATM telah menghantar lebih 2,000 tentera sekitar kawasan Lahad Datu sebelum berlaku pertempuran pada pagi 1 Mac

      2. Keputusan Kabinet memang memutuskan isu ini ditangani oleh Polis sementera ATM dikerahskan bersiap sedia untuk memberikan sebarang bantuan, pada bila bila masa.

      3. Tentera diarahakan mengambil peranan dalam konflik ini selepas berlaku pertempuran diSemporna pada malam 2 Mac.

      4. Perdana Menteri memutuskan Ops Sulu bermula 4 Mac dengan TUDM mengebom kedudukan musuh di Kg Tanduo dan kemudian Tentera Darat turut serta dalam operasi Polis dalam mengempur musuh.

      5. Polis dan Tentera terus mengadakan operasi bersama dalam Ops Daulat

      6. Jika serangan berlaku dari Singapura dan ianya angkatan tentera Singapura dan menreka menggunakan lambang SAF, maka tentera akan bertindak.

      Sekiranya mereka ‘individu’, maka Polis akan bertindak

  4. UN Sec Gen better solve Palestine, Middle East and Rohingya then be a poodle to Obama

  5. Kiram was a man who thought he was the hero
    Lahat Datu he knew he couldn’t last
    Kiram left his home in Simunul Jolo
    For some Sabahan grass

    Get back, get back
    Get back to where you once belonged
    Get back, get back you asshole
    Get back to where you once belonged
    Get back Kiram go home

    Get back get back
    Get back to where you once belonged
    Get back get back 
    Back you asshole to where you once belonged

  6. Malaysia has immense experience in counter insurgency tactics and strategy. It is obvious our security and defence forces are doing exactly that. That’s the only way to beat these terrorists guerillas at their own game.

    The most significant outcome of the current situation is the setting up of the Special Security Area from Kudat to Tawau which include both the land and maritime territories. This will send the strongest signals to the would be future armed intruders out to violate Malaysia’s sovereignty that they are marked. Maritime patrol should be as extensive as we can possibly afford. That should also include air patrol like ‘ Eye in yhe sky.’

  7. Tanya sama Nuar, nape jeling jeling,

    Nanti kata Nuar, aku digiling,

    Apa ku nak buat, aku kena sumpah

    Kerna ku ditangkap, nafsu ku kuat
    …………………………………………………

    Tanya sama Nuar, nape saman saman

    Nanti jawab Nuar, aku dah bosang

    Aku difitnah, aku dipanah, nasib ku baik, aku ada Shamsidah

  8. I support the stand taken by the Minister of Defence not to trust the Jamalul Kiram fellow.

    The bloke is not even the sole representative of militant Filipino Muslims, though he claimed that the 100 or so buggers intruding into Sabah with arms are his men, led by his brother.

    There are more than 10 “Sultans” of Sulu now, the last one was the Sabahan who only last year or so was declared Sultan by his followers and went to live in one of the Sulu islands.

    Malaysia must put the message out – it does not pay to violate our national sovereignty and territorial integrity. Those doing so will have to pay with their own lives. 52 of them have now paid, shot dead. The rest must be hunted until they are shot dead or surrender unconditionally.

    Then punished to the full extent of the law. So that other “Sultans” or militants of one Bangsamoro group or other (MNLF, MILF, MLF etc) will not attempt any more stupid adventure in the future.

  9. Sir,
    Congratulations to the Security Personnels either the AF and Police.The Govt had handle this crisis well.So far do we hear any Civilians casualities or other collateral damages of a big scale.To those people esp Oppo who used to downgrade the Security Forces by stating that they were good for window dressing and the military assets were only for exhibitions,now they can eat their words.Our elite troops such as MSSU,PASKAU,PASKAL,VAT[Very Able Troops]69 and recently formed Para Units are the best troops to handle this type of ops,cordon and search CQB[Close Quarter Battle].Nevertheless lets us pray that they are safe to continue their missions.Not forgetting Alfatihah to the fallen heroes who were Muslims and may God blessed the soul of the late ASP Michael Padel.

  10. [...] should be a comprehensive plan to address all the issues pertaining to immigrants for the whole state, instead of specifically for the Special Security Areas (SSA) as per what Prime [...]

  11. [...] Daulat commenced for the Police and Armed Forces to retaliate and crush the Sulu armed intruders, Prime Minister Dato’ Sri Mohd. Najib Tun Razak announced the ESSCOM on 7 March as a measure to address the long term solution for East Sabah security [...]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,942 other followers

%d bloggers like this: